One small step in Sibu is one big step in Petrajaya & a giant step in Putrajaya.
Speech by Wong Ho Leng on 16th May 2010 at the announcement of the results of the Sibu by-election
1. Terima kasih Sibu. Terima kasih Malaysia.
2. One small step in winning Sibu is one big step in winning power in Petrajaya, and a giant step forward in winning power in Putrajaya.
3. Change we can. Tonight, the people of Sibu have created history.
4. Together we won an election that was deemed impossible just a week ago, against the full brunt of the Barisan Nasional money and government machinery.
5. It is a miracle that we created together.
6. Forever, the history of Malaysia will remember 16th May 2010 as the begining of the awakening of Sarawak, and Sibu as the bastion of hope for all Malaysians.
7. From now on, no one will take us – the people of Sarawak – for granted.
8. The victory is not just a victory for DAP. It is a victory for the people of Sibu, Sarawak and Malaysia.
9. I wish to thank all voters of Sibu for making this bold and historic decision.
10. Let me assure you that I will serve all voters of Sibu, regardless of whether you have voted for me or not.
11. And I will speak up for all fellow Malaysians to bring about fundamental change for Sarawak and Malaysia.
12. Finally, to DAP members and leaders, partners in Pakatan Rakyat and all volunteers who worked tirelessly for this by-election, from the very bottom of my heart, thank you.
Wong Ho Leng